Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Our beautiful Google Earth

School is back into full swing now and keeping me busy. I love my new class. It is amazing what going from 27 students down to 19 will do for a class. Believe it or not, I can actually go around the classroom and help the students that need help! Yeah, crazy idea huh.

Of course, with a new class come new little minds filled with all kinds of interesting bits of knowledge. The best of these little tidbits came today, and from more than one student. I normally try really hard not to laugh at the responses my students give to my questions, but I couldn't help it.

As we talked about where we live (planet, continent, etc) I asked, "What is the name of the planet we live on?"

"Google Earth!" the students so wisely cheered. It took a while to explain through the laughing that their answer was close, but not quite right. It still amazes me what a different world these kids are growing up in. I am sure one of these days I will be hearing that "a computer virus ate my homework"

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Google runs my email, blog, search engine (which means phone book, dictionary, encyclopedia, home work help, solution to all problems finder), blog reader, feed burner, document sharer, and map finder. And soon probably phone service.

I think maybe the kids have it right.

GordonTucker said...

Charlotte, don't forget all the things google runs from the sides. Think how many sites you use are powered by adsense. How many sites are using code hosted at code.google.com?

plus google talk for chat (and soon google wave, because it is awesome)

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Google Earth isn't too far off...but that is pretty hilarious. I love hearing stories of the cute things kids say.